Friday, July 31, 2009

Blackout event: Something About Elyn Wong...


Elyn Wong Yinyin

33 years old, female Singaporean and relatively nice person.
Currently working as Head Of Art in Ogilvy & Mather, RedCard, Singapore.
Elyn does not like writing in the third person. Hence, this has been written by someone else. Hence, it may not entirely be true. Apparently, she has worked in advertising since the dawn of the new millennium. However, amongst 34 different jobs, she has also spent times as a D-grade model, estate agent, door to door Christmas Card salesperson, fashion show backstage dresser. And undresser. She preferred the latter.
She is a big fan of trees. Foliage in general, in fact. She has her own fashion and accessories label, very honestly named Stolen.

She likes to eat and travel as often as possible. Occasionally at the same time.
She was found in a grassy thicket as a newborn, adopted by wolves and can therefore hunt her prey in the dark.

SCNUK: What is the inspiration behind your work 'Insecurity'?
EWY: I wanted to do something that's honest and genuine. And something that I really feel for. So I started searching within myself. Insecurity is my biggest issue. So I thought it'll be a great area to explore for my art. 
I feel that insecurity is something that everyone can resonate with as well.
Everyone is insecure to a certain extend, whether they want to admit to it or not.
To most people, insecurity might sound like a negative thing, but if you see it from a diffrent perspective, alot of possessions, achievements, satisfaction, accomplishments in this world stems from insecurities. We do well because we want to prove our worth, we work hard because we want to show provide for our loved ones to demonstarte our love, we want to earn more to own things that makes us feel and look better. We just need to keep our insecurities in check and not allowing it to overwhelm us.


SCNUK: What were the challenges you faced when you work on this title?
EWY: Digging up real bare truths within myself and coming to terms with them. Also making sure that the work does not come across cliche because the theme of insecurity has been explored many times in the past.

SCNUK: Some of your work requires the audience to interact with the pieces, did you come across any difficulties in getting the audience to participate? And what was their response to your artwork?
EWY: Surprisingly not. I don't have any problem engaging the audience for participation. In fact, the response was overwhelming mainly because they were interactive. Locally there isnt many installation art show, not to mention art pieces that people can physically interact with. Thus this is still very refreshing to a lot of local audience and they love it.
But on the other hand, we need to be smart about our execution. For one of my art piece- Eggs, audience are requested to step on what looks like a tray of 1200 eggs on the floor. This piece is insecurity due to our conditioned mind. Audience were to challenge their own insecuity by walking on egg shells. Even after they were told they were not real eggs, many were still very resistant and weary. It was highly amusing watching the different responses from people. Not everyone walked on the eggs, but even when they chose not to walk on the eggs (which they were encouraged to), the audience was already interacting and participating in the idea of my work. They were VERY insecure. It makes people think... I think is the most important interaction that an artist would hope for from the audience.


SCNUK: This is your first art exhibition, could you tell us what makes you decide to exhibit?
EWY: Making installation art has been on my mind for many years. But as all creative minds, I was too unsure and insecure about what to put up. Never thought of myself as an artist. I could never imagine having a real personal art show! Years later with encouragments from other artists and a great unconventional art show space available, I finally pulled the courage to make this dream happen. To share my thoughts to the world and face my own insecurity. It proved to be a pleasant surprise for myself. To be able to share my insecure bare naked truths to the world...suddenly I realised I might not be as insecure as I thought!



SCNUK: Where (i.e. country, place or space) would you like to see your work being exhibited? And why?
EWY: I would love for it to be anywhere in the world really. Having them in places like London, New York, Japan will be exciting for the fact that installation art scene is very robust mature. To have my work exhibited amongst artist in those region will be a great honour. I believe it will be a highly enriching experience for me as a brand new artist.

On the other hand, space and location could play a very important role in many artforms. Especially so for installation art. I am very keen to explore the more unconventional countries and spaces. May it be rough streets of Cuba or palaces in India or on tress in Bhutan. Installation art in itself is impermanant and defies definition. In many cases it explores the notion of space and time. Therefore, to have them in interesting, unexplored locations could largely contribute to the ideas of the pieces. When an installation space is taken over, the artist could allow audience to experience the space in a completely different manner.


SCNUK: Will you be working on another art project soon?
EWY: Yes. I will be. I will continue doing this on a regular basis. Maybe once or twice a year. Not too often though because I would like to have more conceptualizing time for each project. And I'm doing this on top of my full time job and my fashion label STOLEN. I would like to have time to read a book in the park too.

SCNUK Creative Hunters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home